March 28, 2013

A+

This is baby A. My baby A. Born nearly 14 weeks early.


The morning I found out that the attempts to stop my preterm labor had failed and I was about to deliver, one of the nurses said to me, "You know, my neighbor's daughter was born this early and now she's in high school and she is SMART."

Apparently this was meant to assuage my fears that my premature babies would be stupid...the thing is, I was too busy worrying about whether they were going to live to have considered that maybe even if they did live, they weren't likely to be very smart. (Is that even statistically true? I have no idea.)

I was reminded of this today when we got the boys' scores back from the EXPLORE test, which is like the middle school equivalent of the ACT. It's an optional test that gifted kids can take to learn more about their strengths.

So yes, we already know they're gifted and they both scored higher than the average 8th grader (they are 4th graders), but when I saw Aidan's results I almost cried. (I cried, with joy) The kid scored in the 100th percentile for English usage/mechanics. 100th percentile means no one scored better than he did.

I want to go hang up his test results in the NICU so that all those other moms and dads who are so worried for their tiny babies can at least cross one fear off their lists.

(I know I owe you a recipe. I will make it up to you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment