March 5, 2013

Snow Day!

No school today thanks to all of this lovely snow. And I mean that un-sarcastically - it really is lovely...especially because I didn't have to drive in it.

The boys were psychotically excited. The kind of excitement where I fear one them will run directly into a wall or that they will smash their heads together while jumping around screaming for joy. 

I get it, of course. Snow days are the best. And in my mind, you must go sledding on a snow day...and so began the many hours-long quest to sled. 

First, we apparently lost our sleds. How this is possible, I'm really not sure. How does one lose a sled? It's not like I stuck it in a closet and forgot about it...it's not like you just leave the sledding hill without your sled...it has to be in the garage somewhere. But it's not. And that's just the sled I can remember us owning. I feel like we should own at least two sleds...right?

Ok, so my husband had to head into work anyway to deal with the deposit, so we figured he could get some sleds. The good news is, he got to work and then made it to Target without getting stuck in a snowbank. The bad news is that Target apparently clearanced out its sleds weeks ago (I didn't pay attention because we own a sled!).

Thankfully, the local hardware store still had sleds. Hallelujah.

Next up was my snowpants. As in, I know I own a nice pair from back when I used to snowboard (not like, really used to snowboard, but like tried to snowboard while on vacation with my dad during college). We (read: my husband, who dug through the crawl space) found the snowboard and boots, but no snowpants. 

Repeat that process for my nice ski gloves (only we found nothing in that case...) and you can see why I've arrived at the theory that maybe I've been sleep sledding and my snowpants and gloves are with the missing sled somewhere in the woods. Seriously, it's March...how have I not needed a sled, snowpants, or ski gloves this entire winter?

But finally, finally, finally, after my husband spent hours on this pursuit while I worked (thanks, honey!), we were all bundled and out the door to sled. Hooray! This is where I wanted to show you a beautiful photo of the snow coming down while the smiling children flew down the hill...only my phone died as soon as we got there (sad face) and only one of the children was smiling, while the other was frustrated to tears by the fact that no matter how he approached it, he could not get his sled to go off the jump...it was like they were magnetic poles repelling each other (there is likely a more scientifically accurate and articulate way of saying that, but I do not know the proper terms). It would have been hilarious, had it not caused so much screaming and crying. 

And so I sit, drinking my last white Christmas beer of the year (I'm giving up buying beer that has gluten, but this is still leftover from our holiday party in December) and thinking how happy I am that it is not, in fact, Christmas and that this snow is going to melt in a matter of days (probably) and that spring is just around the corner...it's just a very large corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment