March 4, 2013

I'm Pretty Sure There Have Been Days Like Today

I had an amazing thought today that went something like this..."What if I tried blogging every day until it became a habit again?" Even more amazing is that even though today is the 4th, which is an odd time start something, I decided to do it anyway. No day like today, right?

My day consisted of a snowstorm and wearing a suit for a giant presentation I had to give. The presentation itself wasn't really gigantic, it was the caliber of the audience that made it giant. If you've never worked in corporate America, then there's really no way to describe the fear that is systematically struck into your heart based on a person's place near the top of the organization's hierarchy.

I try to remember that they are just people. That they want to believe what you're saying to them is a good idea, because, honestly, isn't it more fun to hear people present good ideas, than bad ones? But there is also that distant reality that they could totally have you fired (or make you want to quit) that makes things hard.

Well, and there's the plain old fact that I hate presenting. Hate it. My face gets flushed as soon as I speak in a conference room. Throw in a PowerPoint deck and some bullet points I know I have to hit, and I'm pretty much suffering. This is not to say that I'm bad at it. In fact, I think I've gotten a lot better at it over the years, but I still hate it. Probably always will.

Anyway, the presentation went smashingly, in that I didn't say anything stupid and I'm pretty sure I hit all my key points. The rest of the day was spent writing assorted emails, talking about emails, reading things on the Internet and filling out grids...a typical day at HQ.

Then I came home just in time for the snow to start up again. It's supposed to snow all night, so I'm planning to work from home tomorrow. (Woohoo!) This brings us to now, where I'm sitting by the fireplace eating Ben & Jerry's Banana Peanut Butter Greek Frozen Yogurt...which is obviously full of dairy and sugar (and something called Locust Bean Gum?) and is really amazing and only has 210 calories per serving vs. the 10,000 calories in regular Ben & Jerry's (that's an estimate).

So it was a good day...add in that I've now blogged for the day and we're looking at a damn successful Monday. Here's hoping the rest of the week goes this well.

Love and snowflakes to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment