March 31, 2013

The Pancake has Risen

Happy Cadbury Egg day to all!

Easter doesn't mean a whole lot at our house. I mean, we hide eggs and the boys get chocolate bunnies and all, but it probably ranks only slightly higher than, say, Fourth of July on the excitement meter.

Last night we watched "Life of Pi," though, and now I'm thinking that's a pretty good Easter movie. The boys loved it for all the animals. I loved how it illustrates the way amazing storytelling can make you believe just about anything...although I guess I haven't yet heard the story that makes me believe a rabbit hiding eggs is the logical way to celebrate a man rising from the dead, but by no means am I suggesting that should stop anyone from enjoying their celebrations.

Yeah, so Easter is really just a reason to eat poorly at our house. We didn't even make brunch plans this year and I am torn on how I feel about that. On the one hand, I kind of wish I was out being waited on and sipping mimosas.  On the other, I am pretty happy to still be in my pajamas.

Plus, it gave me a reason to try a new breakfast recipe that sticks with the whole "risen" theme of the day: The Puffed Pancake (aka, Dutch Baby).

I used this recipe from Food Network and I'll admit that I did not even attempt to make it gluten-free, although I am willing to bet you could...I just don't know if it would rise the same way. And it rose pretty impressively. Note that I used a cast iron skillet.

Before baking

Puff!

I sprinkled it with powdered sugar because
I didn't have any berries on hand. 
It's super easy. And gives you the added bonus of getting to say, "I put the Dutch Baby in the oven!" which, if your kids are anything like mine, will be met with cries of "Why would you put a baby in the oven?!" Good times.

Since I didn't have berries (I seriously Googled the recipe this morning), we just used syrup and it was delicious. Probably just as good as any brunch we might have paid oodles of money for...minus the mimosas.

And since I was negligent last week in posting, I'm going to give you a second recipe today. It's simple but perfect for today: Egg Salad! Ok, so you probably already know how to make egg salad...but maybe not, because I just made my very first egg salad this year! Plus, I have a secret ingredient (at least, it was secret to me).

Hippity-Hoppity Egg Salad (Gluten Free!)
6 hard boiled eggs
Dash of salt
1/3 cup mayo
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp Heinz relish [That's the secret ingredient! Did everyone already know? I grew up without relish!]

1. Choppity-chop those eggs.
2. Put everything in a bowl and mix. You can decide the right balance of mayo/mustard/relish for your own tastes.

I recommend eating it with gluten-free crackers. Preferably these from Blue Diamond, because I am obsessed with them.

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment