January 5, 2013

Impending Doom, or How I Unwittingly Agreed to Stop Eating Dessert

You guys, I think I'm about to do something stupid. Sure, sure it's good for me, but I can't help wondering if the "good for me" card isn't sometimes trumped by the reality card.

I'm starting a diet detox/cleanse thing on Monday. It's 15 days long. I signed up back before Christmas because I knew I'd want to do something healthy to kick off the new year. And because I really want to lose 10 lbs. and because I'm going to need to wear a swimsuit in 127 days (but who's counting?) when we go to Las Vegas.

I didn't realize when I signed up that it was so drastic. I thought I'd reduce the bad stuff but not give it all up. For real, I have to give up everything: dairy, gluten, soy, caffeine, alcohol and sugar! ALL sugar...except for fruit and we all know that doesn't really count.

ME! Giving up sugar! And Starbucks! Is it smart or even reasonable for a sugar enthusiast and caffeine addict such as myself to take such drastic measures? What if I am healthier but slip into a deep depression from lack of coffee and dessert joy?

I realize of course that the fine ladies leading this cleanse (my stepsister being one of them) would say I'm the perfect candidate for this cleanse because I'm so hooked on all bad stuff. I know they would tell me that I'm going to feel a new kind of joy when I see how I feel without sugar, etc. and I actually do believe them...even though this conversation is hypothetical. I know that I like things that are not always good for me and I know these things counteract my efforts to be healthier and yet...

Is life really worth living if you can't eat dessert?

Ok, I know it's only 15 days. I'm just having a temper tantrum and thinking of all the reasons why I should quit before I even start. Buying all these crazy healthy groceries will be expensive. I'm going to have to cook entirely separate meals from my family. I can't eat out, except I have a date with my husband next Friday at a sushi place, so I'll basically have to eat sashimi without soy sauce OR a martini. And we can't reschedule because it's a Living Social deal that's about the expire and I can't also give up my love of a good deal!

Sigh. I know these are not real problems. It's time for an attitude adjustment.
I can do this! This morning I ran 2 miles in 12 degree weather! I survived premature babies and my father's death and my stepson's nightmare of an adolescence. Sugar will not be the thing that takes me down!

Now excuse me while I go binge on coffee, cheese, chocolate and beer. Monday is still a good 30+ hours away.

No comments:

Post a Comment