January 8, 2013

Holy Date Balls

Greetings from day 2 of being gluten-, sugar-, dairy-, white food-, and alcohol-free. It turns out that I did not have to give up caffeine entirely! I am allowed one precious (small) cup of coffee per day...with coconut milk and without any sugar.

I am going through gluten withdrawal. I thought it was sugar withdrawal, but the experts say it's the gluten. I feel half hungover and half asleep...and slightly like I have the flu (which I'm hoping is not the case, as it has been going around my house). I felt fine yesterday, but this morning it hit me hard. It's pretty crazy that one day without it can have such a big effect. (Yes, yes, I know, this is what all of this is supposed to teach me...I am learning.)

I feel like I did the night before I had sinus surgery, when I couldn't eat or drink anything and I was terrified that I would absent-mindedly just start eating. I haven't been tempted to cheat, but I'm worried I'll just forget what I'm doing and reach for one of the twenty bazillion candy dishes around my office.

So yeah, this is not the fun part of the cleanse. However, I believe the fun part is coming. The part where I feel amazing and maybe lose some weight. I just have to make it through the next 2 or 3 days...please don't let it be any more than that.

On the bright side, I've been cooking lots of new stuff! Kale chips, protein bars, black bean soup, chicken quinoa green olive stew...all of which have been really, really good. Oh yes, and the date balls (pretty much dates, honey, nuts and coconut flakes in a food processor), which I had a lot of doubt about, but which have turned out to be a friend indeed.

Oh god, I'm eating date balls and liking it. What if when I emerge from this, I can never truly enjoy dessert again? What if when I see a salted caramel crepe, all I can think is how much sugar and gluten it contains?

I suppose that's a problem to consider in 14 days...right now I'm focused on making it to bed without accidentally shoving a truffle in my mouth. Stupid after Christmas clearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment