January 13, 2013

The Agony and the Irony, They're Killing Me

I'm bored with my blog, I said to my husband yesterday. Not bored with the blog itself. Bored with what I'm writing on it. (Translation: Bored with myself.)

His response was that all I've been focused on is this cleanse, which I interpreted as a very polite way of saying, Your life has been boring lately.

This reminded me: If you're bored, then you're boring.

This line likely originated with some wise grandmother or philosopher, but it's also a line from one of my most favorite-but-oft-forgotten songs, "Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger. It is not a coincidence that this song was big during one of my most beloved periods in my life, when I was working at the college newspaper writing record reviews and interviewing bands every week.


So I just put this song on and made my Banana Carrot Muffins and it made me so happy and I suddenly felt less bored and boring. Music is magic!

And with that, let me tell you three exciting things I'm working on at the moment but have neglected to mention because I've been consumed by this cleanse:

1. Celebrity chef restaurant trip to NYC with my BFF in April. We scored insanely cheap airfare through a deal American Airlines was running last month. The itinerary is in the works. There's definitely a tension between choosing the younger TV chefs vs. the foundational culinary legends. Really it's just that we only have 3 days and you can't eat everything in 3 days. Also, I'm searching for a hotel deal that will allow us to allocate more budget toward to eating.

2. Trip to Vegas with our BFF couple (omg, every couple needs a BFF couple!) in May. I get to Vegas every year, but we take this trip with our friends every few years, or as often as we can both make it work. I pretty much love Vegas no matter what, but being there with friends who seem to like nearly all the same things as you is pretty awesome. In this case, we got a killer deal on a hotel, so now I'm watching for a deal on airfare...kind of an important component of the trip.

3. Family trip to NYC in August! Yes, two trips to NYC in just a few months, all thanks to that insanely cheap AA deal. My family of 4 is flying roundtrip to NYC for less than $600!!! It's like it's 1998 again. Crazy town. We'll be on the East Coast for a week, so we're thinking we'll take the train to Boston for a few days and partake in some historic things. Again, I'm scouting for hotel deals, although I'm a lot more picky when I'm traveling with the boys so I'll probably end up spending more.

Ok, so when I think about all that I'm no longer bored. Plus, there are the 7 things I'm supposed to be crossing off my 40 by 40 list. Too bad "Give up everything you like to eat for 15 days" wasn't on the list. I guess I've got some doing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment