January 27, 2013

Winter Blues and Banana Bread

We're in my least favorite part of winter. The part where the holidays are all over, the shiny newness of the new year has worn off, and the spring is still so, so far away.

This time of year makes the perfect scenario for weight gain, as all I want to do is curl up under a blanket and drink wine, or, if I'm feeling really ambitious, put on my slippers and bake something...and then probably crawl back under the blanket to eat it.

This year is a little different because I'm so scared to go back to my regular way of eating, for fear that I will also return to my bloated, puffy self who wants to lose 10 lbs., rather than 6 (mentally, there's a big difference). In fact, I didn't reintroduce gluten until tonight at dinner, with spaghetti. (And, honestly I do feel that familiar puffiness returning after eating that pasta.)

Yep, I've been living gluten free totally of my own volition in the 6 days since the cleanse was over! I actually didn't even have any alcohol until this weekend either, so there's definitely been a shift in the way my brain is thinking about food (and drink) - I think maybe, just maybe, I'm learning to value how I feel over what tastes good in the moment.

The thing is, I'm not going to say "never" to any food - not only does that make eating out really hard, but it's just not fun - but I can learn to eat LESS of the stuff that makes me feel gross. If it turns out, for example, that chocolate mousse makes me feel like dying, then I guess I'd try to avoid it under normal circumstances, but if I were to find myself at, say, a fancy dessert tasting in New York and the waiter was to bring me chocolate mousse, well...I'd probably accept that I was going to feel like shit for a little while and decide it was worth it. And it probably would be.

However, I'm not willing to accept that I have to live without baked goods if my body turns out to hate gluten, which brings me to my Smart and Good recipe of the week, which I found comforting and perfect for this arctic, depressing weather.

Gluten-Free Banana Bread (recipe adapted from Betty Crocker)
1 1/4 cups maple sugar (you can get it at Whole Foods)
1 stick butter - softened
2 large eggs
3-4 mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
1 1/2 tsp xantham gum
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Spray loaf pan with gluten-free baking spray
3. Use mixer to combine butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix until combined. Add bananas, milk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
4. Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
5. Pour batter into pan and bake for 60-75 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

I recommend eating a warm slice with coconut butter. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment