January 12, 2013

I Get Knocked Down...

I was going to tell you how great the cleanse is going. How I'm feeling better, sleeping better, how the crappy withdrawal part passed in just a couple days, but then, this morning, I accidentally ingested sugar and it gave me a headache and I feel like crap again.

Seriously, i was doing SO well! My husband and I had a date last night! A DATE planned on a Friday evening! (Well, half a date at least - we had to get the kids by 8 pm). We went to Rare Steak & Sushi because we had a LivingSocial deal that expires in a few days. I was a rockstar (cleanse-wise). I stuck to sashimi and asked for tamari in place of soy sauce (it's gluten-free!). I didn't even give into the overwhelming temptation of a martini...even though it happened to still be happy hour when we got there. Not drinking a martini while out on a date having sushi was the hardest part of this whole cleanse. I'll admit, however, that I ate an olive out of my husband's martini.

(Side note: I will go back to Rare because it's owned by Lifetime Fitness and, as such, they are trying to offer healthier foods: grass-fed beef, fresh caught seafood, no high-fructose corn syrup, no refined sugar, etc.)

So last night was great! And this morning was great too! My cleanse buddy is also my running buddy (and also my BFF) and since the Twin Cities was recently treated to rain that has now frozen and turned everything into a skating rink, we decided to try out the indoor track at a local high school rather than risking injuries outside. (So resourceful, right?!) So we ran 2.4 miles and then went to Good Earth for breakfast.

Good Earth is pretty cleanse-friendly. VERY gluten-free friendly. And then they told me they had coconut milk and it made me feel like I could order something crazy so I got a chai latte! And, it turns out they don't have coconut milk anymore, so I had to switch to almond milk, but who cares! In my mind, a chai latte was just tea and milk...

I suspected something was amiss when that chai latte was the Best. Thing. Ever. It was so amazing. I talked to it. "Thank you, chai latte," I said. "I will always remember you." And I don't even normally care that much about chai. Normally I'm an espresso girl, but tea seemed healthier in this case.

Yeah, ok, so since then, Google has helpfully informed me that chai lattes have sugar. Probably a lot of sugar. Obviously enough to make me giddy, then lethargic, and then give me a headache. Boo. It just goes to show how wonderful and evil sugar can be...which brings me to this question: Is there an antidote to sugar? Like, a way to counteract its effects if you realize you've gone too far? I might need that once this cleanse is over because if that chai latte tasted that amazing, just imagine what actual dessert might taste like...and then feel like later.

But until then, onward with the cleanse. Chumbawamba style.

No comments:

Post a Comment