June 27, 2015

I baked a pie!

In the spirit of being productive even when you don't have any work, I've crossed another item off my 40 by 40 list!  

Last night I completed #2: Bake a pie from scratch. I realize this might not seem like much a feat, but it wasn't on the list because it was hard, it was on the list because it was something I'd never done and wanted to do. 

It was just a coincidence that I made the pie the same day that gay marriage was legalized in all 50 states, but I dedicated it to celebrating that amazing milestone anyway...and so I pronounce the following to be: The Equality is Sweet as Caramel and American as Apple Pie.

As I'm prone to do, I overcomplicated the whole thing by using one recipe for the crust and another for the filling...and then I improvised by pouring caramel over the apples before putting on the top crust and baking. 

And through the magic of baking, I turned this...



Into THIS!




It isn't perfect, of course. The filling to crust ratio is off and I accidentally put 1 Tbsp of salt into the crust rather than 1 tsp, but luckily, the caramel kind of balanced it out, so it tasted like a salted caramel apple pie.

Easy as pie is a real dumb idiom, because cake is way easier, BUT I'm calling #2 a success!

I'm in no way convinced that this was better than buying a pie, but I'm still glad I did it just because a person should know they can bake a pie. Words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment