November 30, 2014

Eating Thanksgiving Dinner in a Fancy Restaurant

I was thankful for a great many things this Thanksgiving, including my boys, my husband, my dog, the health of all of our families, and the fact that we live a pretty great life. But a special note of gratitude went out to my 40 by 40 list for motivating me to do things that I want to do and might not have gotten around to doing otherwise, including...

#16 Eat Thanksgiving dinner in a fancy restaurant

Check!


We hosted our traditional pumpkin pancake brunch in the morning, which assuaged my guilt at choosing a fancy restaurant over my in-laws this year.

I went a fairly traditional route with the fancy restaurant. Kincaid's is exactly the type of place you would picture when you imagine eating Thanksgiving dinner out. No molecular gastronomy or nouveau cuisine, just a straight up turkey dinner.

It was fun. It honestly wasn't all that different from eating out any other day of the year except that it had maybe more of a festive feel. Of course I love being waited on and the food was great (even though I really don't like turkey much), but what I learned from the experience is that really we should go out and order fancy food, not turkey. In my mind, I wanted to go have the classic Thanksgiving meal prepared by a chef, but I think what I really want is to eat a fancy meal instead of having a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I'll file that away for the next time I have the opportunity to dine out on Thanksgiving.

Ok, so now I'm at the halfway point: 20/40. It took me nearly 5.5 years to get here and now I'll finish the other half of the list in just 2.5 years. I can do this!

1 comment: