November 6, 2015

Hired!

Wow, so much has happened in the last month! I crossed another item off my 40 by 40 list, I went to Vegas for 12 hours, I passed my travel certification exam AND (drumroll, please)...I got a job!

I promise to catch you up on all that fun stuff, but rather than cramming all of it into one blog post, let's just focus on being employed. I accepted the offer exactly 18 weeks after being laid off. It's not the travel job I dreamed up and that's okay. It's a strategic marketing job in a place that values me as a writer (in addition to all of the other things I know how to do) and until I heard that fact out loud, I hadn't realized how excited I was about it.

So this is fantastic news and I'm looking forward to a new work life that gets me out of corporate America and back in the company of creative people.

And I am really, really excited about not having to look for a job anymore. Not obsessively checking LinkedIn. Not having to talk about myself every day with anyone who would listen. Not filling out another online job application! (Seriously, maybe ever...does anyone want to start a movement to overthrow the resume-eating robots?) But more than anything, I am free from the impending doom that comes with being a breadwinner thrown into unemployment unexpectedly. Halle-fucking-lujah.

I would love to compose some poetic and inspirational reflections on this experience, but I don't think I have enough distance yet, so for now let's just leave it at this: It was hard and sometimes awful but I feel strongly that things will be better as a result of it.

I start Monday. Deep breaths.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment