October 12, 2014

Behind the Wheel

On Wednesday my husband and I auditioned for Wheel of Fortune. Yep, the real one. Life is weird.

It could have been my chance to complete #21 on my 40 by 40 list, but alas, it was not meant to be. (Well, one could argue that just getting the audition is winning a contest, but I am not that one.)

I realize I just spoiled the ending, but I thought it only fair to get the not being chosen part out of the way first, so we can focus on the experience of auditioning.


Ok, so if you visit the Wheel of Fortune site, you can learn about audition opportunities and that whole process, so I'll cut to chase and say that you have to apply with a video (unless you hunt down the Wheelmobile, which seems horrific). I like Wheel of Fortune - I love the slots - but it's not an affection on-par with The Price is Right. Still, being on the show sounded pretty awesome.

However, I didn't really want to make a video and probably would not have, were it not for my coworker, who shares my love of games and game shows and was an enthusiastic participant. Also, my other coworker shot and edited the video. I have awesome coworkers.

The video was silly and fun and it apparently showcased my ability to yell out letters better than my coworker because sadly, I got an audition and she didn't. (And that is a total bummer, so I'm hoping they're just saving her for the next round.)

Ok, so when I got the invitation to audition, it said they're shooting a special series of shows for parents with kids, so I should bring my spouse. Lucky for me, my spouse enables my love of game shows and agreed to come even though this was in no way his dream.

So we show up at the specified hotel ballroom at the specified time and find 50 other people there for the same purpose. They take attendance, show us a special audition video with Pat and Vanna and then run us through a drill where we all yell letters at the appropriate volume. Then we're off and playing in this weird audition format where you wait for your name to called, stand up and pretend you're actually on the show for one turn, and then sit and wait to be called again.

Awkward is the word I would use to describe the experience. And stressful. And counter to my nature. (Ok, so 6 words.) As I was sitting there listening for our names, I was asking myself Am I having fun or do I hate this?

First of all, when placed in a room full of strangers, I tend to hope not to be called upon. In this case, I needed to be called upon in order to actually be considered for the show.

Second, the professional casting team was full of instructions: Smile, get excited, interact with your spouse, take turns speaking, enunciate, project, don't take too long, don't forget to buy vowels, act like you're on the show....it was a lot.

We got called on 3 times and even though I was having trouble even remembering my name, we solved a puzzle! THE GREAT OZ HAS SPOKEN! It was a great puzzle to solve and it won us a Wheel of Fortune hat and a tote bag. Score.

After about an hour of that, it was time for the written test. And if we'd been in the running up until then, I can assure you that my test score is what got us eliminated.

You get 5 minutes to solve a sheet of word puzzles that are just like on the show except that you only get a few of the letters, which means you might have something that looks like this (times 20):
"Thing"

G _ _ _ _
_ _   _ _ _ _ R

At first I thought I would get zero, so I guess ultimately solving 5 in 5 minutes is an accomplishment.

While they graded our tests, we watched a highlight reel from the 4000th episode retrospective. Then they came back and told us that if our names were called, we got to move on to the next round, and if not, well thanks for coming.

Our names were not called. Cue sad trombone.

Ah, well. It was still a once-in-a-lifetime experience and it gives me a lot more sympathy for those poor contestants who can't seem to solve even the most obvious puzzles.

Guess I need to find another contest to win...

No comments:

Post a Comment