June 29, 2013

Rooftop drinking

Back in May, when Minneapolis was just beginning to emerge from its pseudo-spring that felt more like winter and the sun was actually shining on occasion, I wanted to make sure I didn't let summer pass me by without taking advantage of being able to sit outside without a hat and mittens, so I pledged to have a drink on a rooftop or patio every week for the whole summer. (I know, it's totally heroic.)

A beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I posted said pledge on Facebook and was surprised at how enthusiastic people were about this idea. Over the last two months, I've been asked about my quest at least weekly. Such excitement makes me think I should maybe be trying to harder to seek out new and interesting patios and rooftops around the Twin Cities, but so far I've just been happy to complete my pledge every week except one. (Please note that so far Minneapolis summer has been at least 70% thunderstorms.)

So since I get asked a lot, here is the list of patios and rooftops I have visited this summer on my quest -- along with the all-important rating (which I would have made umbrellas if I could figure out how to put the symbol in):
  1. Brit's Pub ***
  2. Margaritaville (Las Vegas) ****
  3. Muddy Waters **
  4. Pittsburgh Blue *
  5. Masa *
  6. Seven **
  7. Ciao Bella * 
  8. moto-i **
With the exception of Brit's, I don't feel like I've hit the supposedly best places yet. I have to make an effort to get out to Stella's, Cafeteria and Psycho Suzi's in the next few weeks. Let's hope the sun keeps shining!

1 comment: