August 20, 2015

Going North: #13 and 20!

If you ever want to make yourself NOT blog, just promise that you'll blog more often. Seriously. I told myself that I would blog at least twice a week as a way to feel semi-productive while laid off and...that was 6 weeks ago.

I'm off the hook for ONE of those weeks though because I was out crossing things off my 40 by 40 list!!

The first week of the month, my family took an Alaskan cruise, thus fulfilling both #13 and #20 on my list! I was nervous about the whole cruising thing, but it was amazing. Amazing! I highly recommended an Alaskan cruise...and a helicopter ride over the glaciers...and dog sledding on a glacier. Had I know such experiences existed when I made my list, I surely would have gone beyond "seeing" the glaciers to "flying over and landing and dog sledding on a glacier" but as it stands, these things were all just a magical bonus to the whole Alaska experience.

You can learn more about our particular mush team here.

I think we, as people, generally accept that Alaska is "beautiful" in a faraway, conceptual sort of way. But seriously, it's beautiful. And glaciers are fucking amazing. 


They are blue! For real, blue! Just like the ocean! Isn't that cool? Like, yes, that's obvious and yet, wow, I never realized that at all.

And the cruise! Since I was little, I dreamt of having a magic machine that let me travel while I slept...well, it turns out they call those cruise ships. At no point did I stop being amazed by waking up to find us in port at a new little town.

I could write a whole post about the experience on the ship, but not today. Let's just say it was great. That's two more awesome life experiences thanks to my list. Thank you, list.

As for my real life, well, I'm still laid off...as in, I have not yet found permanent employment, but I did take a contract gig. It successfully quelled my fears about money (temporarily) but in retrospect was probably a bad choice so soon. I really still need to get my shit together for my job hunting. It can't be something I do in my spare time...not if I want to find something I actually want to do. So yeah, I have to figure that one out...better yet, I'd like to figure out how to live on a cruise ship and never work again, like this lady...minus the whole being alone part. Surely someone would pay me to blog from my life on a cruise ship...


No comments:

Post a Comment